Friday, August 6, 2010

Remix

I originally intended this poem to be a strictly performance poem and not for on paper. However, after I performed it I received great feedback and requests for leaving it on paper as well. So, here it is.


Remix
Woman is what we are
not bitches and hoes
stop disrespecting us
we’re not what you chose.
Words like bitches and hoes,
rape because of our clothes
We belong in the kitchen
is all patriarchal fiction.
I cease to believe
these things that stings the ear
are here because of genetic makeup.
They’re here to instill fear
in women to squeeze the lemon
of oppression
so dry that she can’t try to make lemonade.
Women got names and faces,
hail from different places,
are of different races,
got minds and thoughts,
while taking these shots
of oppression, so
Don’t pretend it don’t offend
the women who fought and taught
her sisters to follow;
the women who believed and perceived
themselves as more than chores;
women who explored equality
and rejected inferiority.
I rap as I sit on the lap of Father America.
I cheer as I hear the silence standing up, but then
I rage as the man cages with pages filled with “lesbian.”
Women of the West, we need to protest
the mess they call normativity;
We got to show that we know we got
more than a big booty to flaunt.
Man-hater is not what we gather;
equality is what we’re after cause
We can Rome without Caesar
with leisure in knowing
and showing that we cannot be silenced
that is financed by patriarchs cause
feminism ain’t dead, it’s just unsaid.

No comments:

Post a Comment